Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mount Merapi

Jimmy McIntyre - Strange Lands Travel Blog has added a photo to the pool:

Mount Merapi

Daily HDR Blog | HDR One Magazine | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+

UK Journal Day 36 (Travel Diary Day 74)

(Travel blog- strange-lands.com/daily/2012/09/27/mount-merapi/)

There comes a time in every man’s life when he asks himself ‘Are Crocs really that bad?’

I owned a pair once. They weren’t really Crocs of course – just a cheap alternative. I bought them for £2.50. It took me an hour of hunting in the markets of Langkawi to find a pair that cheap. I had the chance to buy a pair for £3 at the beginning of the hunt. The seller refused to go down 50 pence more. Granted 50 pence is quite literally pennies, but my pride told me I could get a better price elsewhere. He said it was impossible. I wanted to win. Rachel wasn’t happy.

I left his shop resolved to prove him wrong. Market after market, and all I found were fake Crocs for £3.50 or more. I was beginning to doubt myself. Then, calm amongst the bustling crowd descended as I saw a shabby little stall and skinny salesman. He started the bidding at £3.50. I offered £2.50. He went down a bit in price. I offered £2.50. He stuttered at £3. I offered £2.50 and pretended to walk away.

He buckled. I got some fake Crocs. The most important thing was I won. I had to now show to the first shop owner that I was the victor, that it was possible to get Crocs for £2.50. I took them out the bag they were in, and walked as slowly as possible past his shop window so he could see them in my hand. He was watching the T.V. It doesn’t matter, I still won.

8 months later I was walking down some stairs on a rainy day in Jakarta when the terrible soles of my Crocs gave way. I slipped and landed on my back, which was cushioned (to some degree) by my backpack. Sadly, a camera lens I owned was crushed in the process. I cursed my Crocs. They’d cost me more £s than they were worth.

I also failed to mention the months of abuse from friends and passers-by I received for being a Croc enthusiast.

I’ve never worn Corcs since.

So, yes, Crocs (especially fake ones) really are that bad, even if they do look slick and sexy.

Today’s photo – Mount Merapi

This is an oldish photo taken in Yogya around 5 months ago. I was standing on this ledge, terrified, but wanting the shot. It’s not processed in my usual, surreal style. I wanted to convey the scene in its natural glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment