Tuesday, January 31, 2012

{123/366-2} The books you remember

jennifée has added a photo to the pool:

{123/366-2} The books you remember

This image shows part of the cover of the book Skyggen over steinbenken - 'the shadow across the stone bench' - by Swedish author Maria Gripe. I read this book, and the rest of the series, as a kid, and it has stayed with me ever since.

I don't remember a lot of the story, but I remember the atmosphere. Some of the characters. The essence of certain lines.

One of the characters cannot speak, and communicates by writing everything down in little notebooks. She observes that her words are preserved for eternity, while everyone else's words fly out in the air and are lost after they've been spoken.

It made me reflect, at a very young age, on the nature of speech and writing, and the joys of writing things down.

I would like to read this book again now, fifteen or twenty years later, but I am scared to, because the words on those pages will not mean the same to me now as they did then.



No comments:

Post a Comment